Adult Literacy (AL)
What are YOUR goals?
Do you want to….
* Improve your reading or writing?
* Increase your math skills?
* Prepare for the GED?
*Get support for your CFCC Adult High School or GED classes?
When you enroll at the Literacy Council, you will be matched with a tutor and given skill books at the right level. Students in our program can also take classes such as Study Skills, Computers, and Group Readers.
Our tutors are volunteers who go through training, and who want to help adults reach their educational goals. The books we use are research-based and designed for adult education programs. Our center has study rooms and is open 5 days a week – please see Hours of Operation below.
1. Call us at (910) 251-0911 and tell us you would like to become a student.
2. Make an appointment for an intake interview. Be ready to give your name, phone number, and reason for wanting to continue your education.
3. If you are directed to voicemail, make sure you leave your name and phone number.
Your first meeting will be with an Adult Literacy staff member and it usually takes about an hour. We will talk to you about your experiences and literacy goals. You will take an assessment test so we can match you with a tutor and the right skill books.
* You must be at least 16 years old and not enrolled in the public school system.
* You need time to meet with a tutor for 3 hours every week and to study and practice at home.
* You must be able to get to your classes on time.
* You need a working phone or email account, so you can stay in contact.
* You must be willing to be tested, so we can teach at the correct level and track your progress.
Tutoring at CFLC is free! We welcome students who are beginning readers and those with more advanced education and goals. However, continuing your education is a big commitment; you will need to dedicate time and effort to the program to be successful.
Location and Hours of Operation:
To Enroll, Please Make an Appointment:
(910) 251-0911, ask for Nancy or Ginger.
Please include your name and telephone number in your message. Nancy or Ginger will return your call.
email@example.com - Nancy Woolley, Adult Literacy Director
Please include your name and telephone number in your message.
1012 South 17th Street, Wilmington, North Carolina 28401. Please click here for location information.
Ask for Nancy or Ginger.
What Our Students Say about Cape Fear Literacy Council
“I tell my pastor, I tell everyone at my church. I’m proud to come to the Literacy Council. It’s never too late, and I’m taking steps for my future.” ~ Cassandra, adult learner
“Ms. Peggy is such a good teacher! I used to hate math but she really breaks it down.” ~ Gloria, adult learner
“You will never know what my teacher has done for me. I know it’s going to take a while, but I am learning. And it feels good.” ~ Louis, adult learner
“My son is in kindergarten and I don’t want him to struggle like me. I want to finish school so I can be there for him.” ~ Allison, adult learner